Thursday, April 25, 2013

This week is all about TEAMWORK!

Hello friends!!

How is everyone doing this week? Staying on track? 

I will tell you I worked out 6 days in a row last week and still lived my social life. It felt good. I can definitely tell that I am at my plateau right now though. Those 6 days didn't help me lose and I was super hungry most of the time. I am doing better now though. Current weight: 191.

Just in case you were wondering, I asked my trainer why I was so hungry and what I should do about it. He said it sounded like I needed more healthy fats in my diet such as coconut oil, nuts, all natural peanut butter, avocado, etc. Just thought that was interesting and I wanted to share that with you in case it ever happens to you!

Here's a little fun story for ya and if you keep up to date with my Facebook posts you'll know it already. My boyfriend and I are going to a wedding next weekend and I wanted to get a new dress. This was my first time dress shopping since before I lost my 36 pounds. I dropped one whole dress size to fit into a size 14 very comfortably! I also fit into a size 12 but didn't want to push it because it was still a little snug. Felt good though, and I like the number 12 so I'm gunning for it. :)

As you know, I am alllllll about teamwork and I want to encourage it as much as possible through my blog posts. I want to encourage positivity in amongst you all and I want you all to encourage each other.

This is why I asked people to send me their favorite workouts and recipes. I only got a few responses but it was a perfect amount! So here we go, I am going to start off with-

Shannon M.
Shannon is one of my biggest supporters, definitely one of the biggest for my blog. She always gives me feedback and has an amazing cooking blog. I highly recommend it! http://shansthecollegecookbook.blogspot.com/

Yesterday she made Weight Watchers friendly General Tso and fried rice. UMMMM yes ma'am... I haven't tried it yet but better believe that I will be doing it in the near future! Here is the recipe:



Prep and cook time: 40 minutes total
Serving: This would serve about 4 people
Things I would different next time: The only thing I would do differently is I would add some chopped onions to the rice.
Recipe adapted from:    Rice Weight Watchers    Chicken: Food.com

Ingredients

Chicken
  • 3/4 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons of canola oil
  • 2 scallions chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
Rice

  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 4 scallions chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 10 baby carrots chopped
  • 3/4 cup of frozen peas (thawed)
  • 2 cups of instant uncooked brown rice
  •  2.5 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce 
Directions

Chicken

  1. In a bowl add your chicken broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger.  Whisk together.



  1. Heat your oil in a large skillet on medium high heat.  Add your scallions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for two minutes.


  1. Add your chicken and cook till your chicken is browned (about 10 minutes)
  2. Whisk your sauce one more time and add to chicken. 
  3. Cook till sauce thicken (about 2-3 minutes)

  1. Place a lid to keep chicken warm, and begin your rice.
Rice

  1. Place 2 cups of instant brown rice in a microwave safe bowl,and microwave according to directions.
  2. In a large greased skillet add your egg whites and cook for about 3-5 minutes until fully cooked and scrambled. Remove from pan and set aside.
  3. Respray your skillet and add your scallions and garlic, saute for 2 minutes.
  4. Add your carrots, and peas and saute for 5-10 minutes till carrots are tender.


  1. Add your rice to the mixture and add your soy sauce.
  2. Mix well and serve.
Final Product

Workouts...Get activity in while tricking your body! Run around a football field or any generic open area kicking a soccer ball, you're so focused on the ball that you forget your actively working! Great for the non-runners of the world. aka: me."
Thanks for the tips Devy!

Next up: Jeff B.
Jeff is a really motivating person, at the gym just about every day and has lost a crazy amount of weight as well! Take his advice, it works for him! 
"My favorite workout is getting lost in cardio with a filthy mix (rap, alternative, techno) and tennis is my place where I can leave this world for a while and compete."
So basically, if you hate working out or going to the gym: Find something you love and turn it into exercise. Jeff loves tennis and it is a GREAT weight loss opportunity. Like swimming? Great exercise. Have kids? Get them out of the house too! Go chase them around the park or go for a walk with them. Take the dog for a walk. Like to knit or read? Do these things on a stationary bike. Just KEEP MOVING.
Thanks Jeff!


A little tip from Amy R: If you can get to a kickboxing class do it! It's without a doubt the hardest class i take!
Adding onto what Amy is saying, any class that you can get involved in is going to be a good idea. It spices up your workout, you meet new people and you have fun!
I tried Zumba classes twice before and this last class was so much fun I can't wait to take it tomorrow! If you are bored with your normal workout routine or if you have plateaued, pick it up with something completely different! There are so many classes to choose from and most gyms offer free classes. I know mine does :) (LA Fitness).
Amy also shared with me this link: http://greatist.com/fitness/charitymiles-app-donates-every-step-you-take
I took a look at it and it is obviously a really great idea! I am going to look more into it to see if it is legit before I do it but how neat! :)
Thanks Amy for the ideas!
Susan L. posted this video as her favorite butt workout- 

It's great when you can do exercises at home. These are even things that you can do in between getting things done at home. You don't even have to do all these things right in a row if you don't have time. Keep moving people! 
Thanks Susan!
Now it's my turn.
I pretty much shared my favorite healthy recipes. My favorite one right now is Shannon's green pepper stuffed casserole. Mmm Mmm Mmm I just made it again the other day. One of my other favorites to make is ground turkey (97% lean) mixed with cabbage and carrots. Sauteed with a little bit of Lite EVOO, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. SO GOOD.
I actually have one more recipe that I created myself and I don't think I posted this one before. 
Chicken Fajita Roll-ups
Boneless and skinless chicken breast (preferably the thinly cut) beat them down as flat as you can.
Mix fat free sour cream with salsa (as hot as you want it). Spread this mixture onto the chicken. Add some fat free cheddar.
Roll the chicken up and stab with a toothpick for holding purposes, put a little more of the mixture on top of the roll up, adding a little more salsa.
Bake in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees.
When the chicken only has 10 minutes left, sprinkle some more of the cheese on top!
*NOTE- i have put spinach in it as well. Next time i am going to try putting in sauteed onions and peppers :). The chicken is so creamy but the stuff you put into it doesn't add up to any points. Each slice of 4 oz. chicken is 4 points. So this whole roll up is only 4 points. :) I LOVE this recipe and proud that I came up with it (haha).

My favorite workout? Has anyone tried the sauna? Haha - all joking aside, I just tried that for the first time the other day and I was sweating like a pig. Felt good, haha.
Ok favorite workout...I don't really have one and I share with you guys a lot of my workouts and always will. So I will share with you an EASY one that I do when I'm just not feeling it. This can be done by anyone!

A minute and a half of step-ups onto 6 risers with my left leg.
A minute and a half of step-ups onto 6 risers with my right leg.
As many regular push-ups as I can possibly do (I'm always trying to beat my last record of 32).
Wall-sits for as long as I can possibly do (Always trying to beat my record of 1:27).
Plank for as long as I can possibly do (Always trying to beat my record of 2:17).

Believe it or not this gets me sweating. You're not doing all that much but it's challenging!
So this is all of the things that I received from my readers, I hope you learned a lot and developed some of your own ideas! If you have any more ideas please feel free to PM them to me and I will feature them in my next post. 

BTW, I tried the La Croix that I was telling you about. I tried this one, the cran-raspberry. 
It was OKAY. It would definitely be delish in an alcoholic blend but by itself it reminded me too much of club soda which I don't like. Gotta mix it with the alcohol I guess haha.

Another new product that I just tried last night is Weight Watchers ice cream!



I tried the chocolate chip cookie dough one. There wasn't enough cookie dough (when is there ever enough?) but it was really good. It is made with skim milk but it tasted just like regular ice cream! Giant had them on sale for $1 each! So keep your eye out. :)
I'm going to leave you with one more note from Noel M. He always has great motivational quotes.
"The only limit is the one you set for yourself. Keep pushing"
This is all I have for you for this edition of Baby Got Back...Into Shape! I hope you enjoyed and learned a little something! Good luck this week and remember: Keep moving!

Thanks guys, you inspire me! XOXO



3 comments:

  1. Awesome I love it!! I am going to make those chicken roll-up soon they sound absolutely delicious! I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I just remembered and added to the rollup recipe. I added spinach last time. Next time I'll be adding sauteed onions and peppers :)

      Delete
  2. Loved this Amy! I've been meaning to write responses on all of your blogs, just haven't had a chance to yet! They're all amazing and I really enjoy reading them :) Keep up your great work! You look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete